Saturday, March 14, 2009

Maiden English

Rani has been our servant maid for over a year now . She talks very little and finishes her work very sincerely . The problem is language. I and my amma cannot speak kannada and Rani cant speak Tamil. Mode of communication is then Tannada . English was a taboo. She couldnt understand a word in English .
She doesnt bunk and her work is decent. But I have only one complain. She comes very late for work . She comes at 11:00 Am. Well I have asked her to report at about 7:00 am , so that she can clean the house even when I am there. Every time I have asked her to come early , she said she was working in homes where the couples were working for a fraud hit software company . Both the couples had to leave before 9:00 and it was next to impossible for Rani to come to my house at 7:00 . Point agreed . But on Sundays , she used to be at 7:00 . What ? Why do you take me for granted and disturb me at 7:00 on sundays. Am I not a office goer? Come on..
click here
We have got used to her timings and she has got used to ours. I have stopped complaining about her weird timings to my house . Time has passed . Suddenly one fine day she starts coming at 7:00 am in the morning . We thought initially that this was a temporary arrangement and she would get back to her normal timings. After a week , amma slowly asked Rani why she was coming early these days. For which she silently replied , she was affected by "RECESSION" and carried on her with work.

Madhu
-Awed by effects of recession

9 comments:

kumar said...

Good & interesting one...

Rajagopalan said...

i told you.. recession is the root cause of all miseries...

prishti said...

I dont know if my earlier post has reached u. It would help if u cd give small translations of words ( u write in ur lang) in English. Makes for smooth reading for a bong like me.

Ur post on dosai was enlightening and hilarious, never read any such thing with a perspective as yours. Waiting for more such observations.

Avial said...

Kumar ,
Thanks ..

Rajagopalu ,
miseries ?

Prishti ,
Thanks for following my blog . I would certainly make it in English as much as possible but certain things are well conveyed in ones own mother tongue . I would certainly translate it . thanks again for following my blog .

prishti said...

Hey Madhu

Long time no post? Hv u been busy? I am certain u have not run out of topics. What about something on the pre-poll scenario in ur state? We keep reading in the papers but nothing like a first hand comment on the games played by the politicians play i.e., breaking now, patching up later with other parties as per convenience. By the way I listened to Kaatrinile after reading one of ur older posts and loved it (though without understanding a word of it). I have found out from the net that the melody is perhaps taken from another older song called "Toot gayi man beena" though I am not sure of it.

Prishti

Anonymous said...

Wow! a good one
-rvalsan

Avial said...

//Prishti ..Yeah caught up with some really big work. Yeah politics is certainly a big meat for blogging..

//Rahul..thanks man

raghu said...

Good one.. Keep going madhu..

Anjali said...

Hey...
That Tannada word is fun ya...
you can create a Tannada lang.. i hope..
very funny article but certianly true, recession effected everyone...Pavam...