Friday, September 22, 2006

ஓரு நடை பயனம்

Hyderabad Heart walk is on Sept 24,2006. This event in association with Yashoda Hospitals has been initiated to create awareness among people on heart ailments and prevention. After the Hyderbad Run , this is one big event in Hyd with a lot of corporate participation.
Walking is the simplest of excercises. It involves most of the muscles and reduces the chance of heart ailments.
One of the first things the parents feel proud abt a new born baby is when it starts walking. These days I have seen parents having clicking fotos as memoirs of their kids first walk in this mother earth. I dont remember when I started walking ..should have been slower than others of course . In my school days, long distance walking was a rare oppurtunity . The max I would have walked would have been from my school to my home on the days when school bus used to be late.
My family members were great walkers . All my uncles walk for Kms together just to keep them fit. Even to this day my uncles wake up at 4:30 am (yes you read it right ..AM) and walk for about 1-2 hrs ....mm...
Sitting in front of the dumb terminals, we bug fixers have forgotten to walk.More so I have forgotten to walk. I had been to chennai to meet my Patti who was in Nanganallur with my chittappa. My periappa from madipakkam, came to meet my Patti. while returning back, he asked me if I would want to accompany him. I said why not ? First he said he wanted to visit the Anjaneyar temple. It was a saturday and periappa has a habit of doing 108 pradakshinams on Sat.
If this old guy is able to do it why not me ( Madhu come on u can do it !!).Like a good boy I followed him for all the 108 ... Got some good puliyodharai and sakkarai pongal ( will later write how to make them ) .
We both started and I thought we would either take an auto or a bus . But to my dismay periappa started walking ..WALKING another 5-6 Kms ...not possible..My thoughts were on the great Dandi march ..Gandhiji had a purpose for that walk . What was ours ? Why should we walk this far ..
After walking for abt an hour and half we reached home . My legs were abusing me . I hadnt used my legs continously for this long . I was feeling tired. Oru Coffee kidaikuma periamma .."2 mins da " will get you .. While i was sipping my coffee my 3 year old niece came home after playing out . Ah !!! now the walk made real sense . I always believed after a hard toil the result is always sweet . Talking to my kutti niece I felt the walk was sweeter .

Madhu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that Taachu Maama is a great walker. I know you know that also. I wonder what made you volunteer ?