Monday, September 18, 2006

Slice of Life


It defies the laws of nature if you are a Tamilian and you dont read "THE HINDU". I Love the paper, dont know why .. esp with the morning coffee in a davara tumbler. Sipping Coffee slowly is like drinking the divine ambrosia, with the newspaper of course. Now dont ask me whihc one is better , the newspaper or the coffee. both complement each other and i cant leave out the other.
Infact I feel the day is lost if I miss either of the two.
The newspaper comes out with a lot of great journalists penning different speicailised articles. notably a few of them are R.Mohan (hez not longer with the Paper I guess) , Malini Parthasarathy( I always thought it was she , but never could guess it was he until I saw him in my cozins marriage) , Nirmal Sekhar ( another sports editor). Somehow these guys are serious in their columns . they ought to be for the content they are publishing . They give detailed analysis of the economic and socio political scenraios.
But one of them several of us who wouldnt have noticed at all is One Mr V.Gangadhar. I love his style of writing. i dont see him write off late ( probably hez not being paid enuf due to cost cutting ) . he used to write on alternate weekends in the Sunday Magazines.
Most of his works were on food esp palakad food. I am a connoisseur of food myself . I vivildly remember that he used to give a detailed descriptions of the cuisines that he used to write about. mmm..My mouth used to water. he had a mumbaiya attitude which were clear in his writings. his subtle humor reminded me of the great RK. When other articles on were on Education , Tourism etc , his slice of life with a cartoon by keshav used to increase my hunger on a weekend.
There were times in college , I used to discuss about the food that he wrote with one other roommate of mine. We used to have lengthy discussions on various food items and of course the proper combinations that need to be served without which it wouldnt go well.
I am not sure if he has stopped free lancing as I dont see any articles from him these days. But I continue to enjoy my food and try out various dishes ( courtesy my mom ) and relinquish my weekend lunches.

After all my motto is " YOU EARN AND FIGHT ALL ONLY TO EAT and SLEEP" if you cant do either the whole purpose of struggle goes for a toss .

Madhu

No comments: