Monday, July 30, 2007

rOsOgOlO

One favourite sweet dish of mine is the Bengali Rosogola. Its a milk sweet which cant let your mouth go unwatered . You do not be a culinary expert to know abt this dish. The first time I had tasted this was when Banerjee aunty gave us the dish for Durga Pooja . I was just 4 then . Aunty had come back from Calcutta ( now Kolkotta ), she gave us a tin of Rosogollas . Aunty had a tough time convincing Young Madhu that this was not made of egg and I could eat it which would not make me a Non Vegetarian. Amma too had a great part in making me eat this .
The first golla went into my mouth then amma's challenged polled across . She could not let me stop eating the remaining of the gollas. it was just amrit ...Aunty promised me that she would get me a tin everytime she came back from Kolkotta. But I am not sure if she ever kept her promise . My tryst with Rosogolla had just begun .
Scene 2 , Calcutta to Sindri , Black Diamond express , morning 6:00 Am . We were travelling to Sindri . I was just spell bound to see the bengali babus taking Rosogullas for breakfast . Sweets for Breakfast was just not acceptable to me . It could only be a Dessert. It started to sink in only then why the dish is more a Bengali dish .
SOmetimes I used to ponder why bengali people's accent had a lot of O's . For example , "Chakravarthy" was "chokroborty", etc . Could it because of eating of the O shaped Rosogollas . The bengali girls are sweet girls probably for same reason of eating rosogollas in the morning . I should start advising my Tamil girl friends to do the same thing for them to get sweeter .
Recently I read an article in TOI , saying this is an Oriya dish and not a bengali dish. This I would say is patent violation. All these years Rosogollas have gone synonymous to bengalis . One fine day a guy does some arbit research and publishes some article on which falsifies the the birth of Rosogolla.
Who cares about the birth of Rosogollas as long as its a sweet dish and keeps people happy . Would you care ?

Madhu
- Mouth watered thinking abt Roshogollas

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Madhu Voi

Good travel to childhood memories da.

Happy to see your blogs

Have fun
Prem

Avial said...

Prem ,
thanks da..keep coming when free .

Sai Pondalur said...

as promised I am typing this on my iPhone. I knew food can bring in physiological changes to human beings but it never occurrd to me that that food could create a separate sub-species called Bengalis with their own special characteristics like accent and sweetness. Your study is significant and adds to our understanding about the evolution of mankind. Keep up the good work.

Avial said...

iphOne shndt it be ? ..evolution of mankind for the good shd be taken in the right spirit.. aint it . and propogandise this sweet to the Americans and they might calling you Soi .

Anjali said...

Good... did you have rasogolo which i had given you last week?
Now i understood, why mom didnt taste at least one in that..
you would have grabbed it... isn't it?
Am happy... i chose your favourite Sweet to give you:)