Saturday, August 25, 2007

Omnibus of R K Narayan

Starting this week, I would try to post reviews of the books that I have read and I am reading . As always the disclaimer is that these are my own thoughts and they may not reflect that of the author's. Who can forget the Malgudi days serial in Doordarshan which used to be telecast on weekdays a few years back. RKN , the indian father of modern English Fiction is the author of this book by Everyman's library . ISBN : 185715-294-8


Sampath - Printer of Malgudi .

Srinivas is the publisher of the Banner a newspaper in malgudi .
he has tough times in running the paper.As he runs into financial problems his own printer comes forward to help him. Actually the printer Sampath puts Srinivas into greater trouble when the pres comes to a grinding halt . He advises Srinivas to screenplay for his directorial venture of a film . Srinivas who is a confused person not clear with his goals joins him only to realise that Sampath is just a pompous guy who ruins his life due to his pomposity.
This story has a subtle humor which is the trademark of RKN . It depicts the normal middle class Indian mentality.Though the story was well narrated , I somehow felt I had to skip through the pages in some parts of the story in the middle.It catches up the speed finally .

Verdict : All in all its worth a read .

The Financial expert
The Protagonist Margayya is of the cadre of udayan Mukerjee's and Rakesh jhunjunwalas Though he doesnt have any money himself,He advises people financially and charges them for his expert comments. Somehow he goes to make a big fortune, thanks to Dr Pal.Years flow by and margayya becomes an A class money lender and has no time for his family . Due to circumstances theres a turnaround where in lands back to the same banyan tree he started his life losing all his money .

Interesting Quotes.
This happens when Margayya meets Dr Pal when Margayya is in search of milk from a 'smoke' colored cow as
" Are you an ayurvedic doctor or an aphrodisiac -maker".

You read this chapter and if you dont laugh, I bet you should meet a doctor . As I read the omnibus , I began feeling this was a much better narrated story than the previous one. I never felt that I could afford to lose anything in between for the fear of losing some interesting humor
and the story . The story ran really fast . Infact a bit too fast for me only to realise it was over .

Verdict : A certain read .

Waiting for the Mahatma
Sriram is normal individual who grows up in Malgudi . When Mahatma Gandhi arrives in malgudi , he gets a glimpse of Bharathi and falls for her. How his life changes after this is the story. What sufferings did he have to undergo, all for Bharathi is excellently narrated. The end is so gripping when the real meets the surreal. I am sure people who have been in the independent india and pre independent India would feel with the story .

Verdict : I have already bought a copy of this book . Of all the three this is the best .

Cheers,
Madhu
RK Narayaning......

4 comments:

Sai Pondalur said...

Does Amazon pay you money too?

Thanks for the review. Will pick up the books sometime. Do you remember the title music of malgudi days? Taanaana Tananana Naaa..

Avial said...

"Does Amazon pay you money too? "
If people buy from my site , I think yes ..They might pay me . Not sure .
When you plan to make any purchase from amazon , search from here .let me confirm :( If yes , of course you get a share .

and abt the music..Its one of the best ..I get really nostalgic when I hear
http://www.esnips.com/doc/276382f6-2754-4ea4-b8b7-a09017a09675/Malgudi-Days

Anonymous said...

its cool...seeing the Finanace part...what hppnd to your MF articles?
Ganapathi

Karthik Sriram said...

I haven't read the Margayya one - i started reading it and somehow i didn't finish it.

I agree about Waiting for the Mahatma - was an amazing read and Sampath is a really enjoyable one too - except for some parts about Ravi which gets too lengthy...

LKS