Sunday, August 19, 2007

Whats in my name ?


As a student of class 5 , all of us must have heard of the story of Rumpelstiltskin . The dwarf challenges the queen to guess his name to let her child of free. The story goes on wherein the queen discovers this uncommon name of the dwarf.
I dont think Madhusoodhanan is anywhere close to Rumpel . This is a very much common name in India , especially south India . Names are really close to one's heart as it marks the identity of a person. In India , we have the habit of naming the children with a God's Name so that the child inherits all the qualities of the name . Each name has a meaning as does mine. In the epic Mahabharata , lord krsna's name was Madhusoodhanan as he killed a demon by name Madhu. Madhu (demon)+ soodhanan ( Killed ) .
Now , from my memory I have heard people call my name in whatever they like . In my school , there used to be my friend who called me "Madu". I guess he couldnt pronounce the "DH". Moving to college, some of my friends jocularly said my name contained all the vices one should not possess. Madhu in Tamil means whisky...Extend madhu to Maadhu , the meaning is ladies and Soodhu from Soodhanan reflects gambling . Good that my parents didn't hear these guys definition of my name . They would have got my name changed in the gazette right away . They would have never wanted their kid to get any of these :(
Some more weird pronunciations , Muddy , Maad , Maadu ( cow) , and what not . People of have played with my name to their convenience . In my office when I interact with my US counterparts , they started with Mad U , improved to Made U ..Oh GoD , please teach them how shd I be called. Finally they settled for madwho ? thats much better . One day when we were in a meeting , my US colleague said that my name is a complicated tongue twister!! You know what his name was Xing Xang Xhu... Now you people tell me which is a twister ?
Most of the guys around me call me Madhu . In fact, I prefer calling myself Madhu . I hope by the virtue of the same old theory of the character getting inherited by name, I don't become the demon . I would rather be a docile , nice hearted person as Madhusoodhanan .

Now guys can you go and count back how many Mads are there in this post. I hope you don't get Mad counting.

Cheers,
Madhu the Mandu ( as some call me )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROTFL :)))

enjoyed alot. here also same blood.
everybody from my LKG cut short my name and calling my first half.

enjoyed the post a lot. :)

Ram Kumar said...

super voi. . .

vettia time pass pandrathukku ippadi oru mediuma. . .

Anonymous said...

Hello...
you remember how kala karupaiah (HR) called you up?
Ganapathi

Avial said...

Nope..Whoz kala karupiah. Do u remember ? Put it on to brush my memory

Kamal said...

haha..nice one :)